Julian Assange: Wikileaks founder extradition to US blocked by UK judge

Julian Assange: Wikileaks founder extradition to US blocked by UK judge 

(BBC, with cookie wall)


No extradition is a good decision. Unfortunately, the decision does not take out the extradition risk, only delays it and maybe just transfer it to another country.

The decision motivation seems wrong to me. The main issue is not a "risk of suicide", even if it exists. The sufficient issue with the procedure itself is that there is no crime or wrongdoing on Mr. Assange side, only journalist work done under freedom of press and opinion that should be protected in the UK, in the US and in all democratic countries. The fact that all the elements published contained truth and only truth and are of public interest is not refuted. That should be enough for it to qualify as journalistic work.

My new year wishes for 2021 are more transparency and more freedom.  Freedom of opinion and freedom of press are both more and more in danger everywhere. This is my opinion and I hope I'm still free to share it and that I'm protected while doing so! While publishing on this blog, I consider myself as a journalist. The protection of journalist should not be restricted to press pass holders, but should be extended to all publishing meaningful information of public interest.

I hope (but not expect) that Belgium will offer asylum status to Mr. Assange to provide him some freedom of movement and avoid his extradition to US, UK or any other country that does not respect the freedom of press and opinion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Multi-curve framework book: new edition in progress

Rigged: part 1 - Will there be a part 2?

A personal statement on the IOSCO Statement on Alternatives to USD Libor